Fish of all kinds - the essence of Åland!
Indigo Restaurant & Bar is located in the rustic old stone house at Lilla Torget in central Mariehamn. Indigo offers a two-fold concept with a restaurant on the bottom floor where a modern á la carte menu is served, and a lounge bar on the top floor where you can sit down with a beer or a cup of coffee, or order a meal from Indigo's bistro menu.
The Åland touch in Indigo
- The Åland touch is maybe not always so visible in our menus but we try to use fish from Åland in at least one of the meals, in a slightly modernized way - you could say that it's old fashioned food with a new style, says Indigo's chef Björn Ekstrand. The trend is that limitations are eliminated when it comes to food - nowadays you might as well go to New York and eat cured salmon.
For Björn personally, fish is really Åland food.
- A favourite is newly smoked perch with new potatoes, chive crème and a cold beer - preferably served out by the sea. That is really the essence of Åland and summer for me. And if you get the chance to eat roe deer in autumn, you should definitely not miss the opportunity.
- Sea buckthorn and products made from sea buckthorn - marmalades, jams, and juices - are also typically from Åland, and naturally the Åland pancake and fish soup, he adds.
Björn likes to enhance other products produced in Åland, such as apples and the good drinks from Tjudö Vingård and Stallhagen beer from Åland's Bryggeri.
- These are fantastic products that are genuinely from Åland.
- Bolstaholm's farm in Finström has the best meat I have ever tasted. I hade the good fortune to buy some entrecoté from the farm once, and that meat was of amazingly good quality.